Tuesday 10 June 2014

How my enterprise grew- the advantages of test driven development



I own an Independent Software Vending firm and a few years ago, the market demand pattern changed so rapidly that my firm was left struggling to survive. This was the same situation experienced by a number of ISV’s at that time and I realized that to come of this problem I would have to change my business models and adopt a different approach to work. The business mantra that was being repeated often during this time was “focus on core competencies”. Upon analyzing this phrase, I came to realize that outsourcing whatever was taxing my developers was the best approach to take and I could reduce operational and developmental costs by outsourcing repetitive but vital and time consuming jobs like testing. This realization also opened up new possibilities for my business, namely, testdriven development. This meant that my development process could be boosted by more frequent testing cycles, improved testing efficiency and reduced time to deployment.
 
Test driven development meant that any problems could be fixed at a relatively early stage in the development process. The overall mindset of my enterprise transformed due to the business outcome based testing and this meant greatly reduced operational costs for my company too. Another huge advantage that I enjoyed by outsourcing to the right testing service provider was that the efficiency of the testing process was greatly increased and the time that was being consumed when testing had to be done in-house was saved. This also meant real and significant reduction in the “time to market” of the product which is what really matters because taking too long to release the product would mean disaster. Because testing efficiency was improved, we also enjoyed a lesser defect leakage ratio and this also contributed to a significant reduction in operational costs. The technical partner service that I chose for my testing needs offers testing consultancy, testing services and testing related solutions too. This three pronged approach compartmentalizes the services provided effectively and you get the freedom to choose only what assistance you need. This also helps to keep operational costs minimized. Overall, all I want to say is outsourcing to the right service provider solved all my problems and put my enterprise on the fast track to growth!

No comments:

Post a Comment